Thursday, May 30, 2019

Meet Your New Miss Gay Arizona America 2019: Espressa Grande

MGAZINE cover photo by Scotty Kirby.

On May 11, Phoenix queen Espressa Grande was crowned Miss Gay Arizona America 2019 at one of the Miss Gay America system's most prestigious preliminary pageants.

A spirited gal with a love of drag, family and showing us all how to be an #ElevatedYou, Espressa took a minute to answer the five questions we like to ask newly crowned MGA title-holders.

But first, as sort of an upfront bonus question, we asked Espressa Grande how she came up with her fun drag name. "Working at Starbucks was a pivotal part of my life when i was 16," she says.  "I was just coming out as a gay man and navigating a life as an adult at such a young age. Grande, well, she’s definitely a large and in charge woman, henny!"

And now, a little sip and stir with Espressa Grande:

1 How did you get started, when did you first do in female impersonation? 

My heart forever belongs to the stage of theatre. Theatre inspired me to take the leap into female impersonation three years ago. Also our social climate. I want to inspire new generations because after we are gone, that is who takes the reins. My drag is full of comedy and camp, but at the core ALWAYS has a message to empower and inspire.

Photo by Patrick Breen from a feature by Garrett Mitchell for AZcentral.com. See more photos of MGAA 2019 here.

2 What has being in the Miss Gay America system mean to you personally?

It means that what I am doing, being my own authentic self, is enough to show true power and excellence.


Photo by Patrick Breen from a feature by Garrett Mitchell for AZcentral.com. See more photos of MGAA 2019 here.

3 How have you benefited from competing in the Miss Gay America system? 

When I first saw the America system, I thought all that was wanted was a “cookie cutter” drag queen. When I made the decisions to leap into this excellence, I realized, that the only thing the Miss Gay America system wants, is an elevated you.

An ad for the KIRBYGIRLS 3: Drag Photo Exhibition (March 2018) benefitting Phoenix Pride by photographer Scotty Kirby. See a recent gallery of his favorite drag queen photos on PhoenixNewTimes.com

4 Is your family supportive? 

My butch and beauty beans!!!! Absolutely! My family of blood and chosen family doesn’t stand behind me. They stand next to me. Through the trials and tribulations, to the positive and GRANDÉ good times. We are a tribe, and a roasted to perfection cup of Espressa. ;-)

5 What is your life out of drag? Anything else you want to add or say?

By day I am a graphic designer for a beautiful non-profit organization, Hospice of the Valley. I have been there for nine wonderful years so far and love every part of it. By working day in and day out with this amazing organization, I have learned to never take life for granted. To always seize every moment, and to always give love, comfort, and dignity to all.

Want more Espressa Grande? Read her post-crowning interview "Miss Gay Arizona America Espressa Grande on pageants, drag and how to be an #ElevatedYou" on AZcentral. Here's a taste:

Q: With such variety in queens, it's remarkable to be someone who stands from the rest of the lineup. How important was that to you?  
A: I mean, I'm a juicy girl. I'm not a size six, 120-pound waif. I'm large and in charge and love ordering a double burrito from Chipotle. When I made the decision to do America, I realized that my idea of what I thought they wanted had nothing to do with it whatsoever. Now that I've won I want to show people that they're looking for someone who shows excellence in their own way.


Photo courtesy of Espressa Grande.

Related:

• Miss Gay Arizona 2019 63 Photos (AZcentral.com)
• "Miss Gay Arizona America Espressa Grande on pageants, drag and how to be an #ElevatedYou" (AZcentral.com)
• Don't be a drag, just be a queen: Miss Gay Arizona America pageant is May 11 (AZcentral.com)
• Photographing These Beauty Queen Competitors Is Never a Drag for Phoenix Lensman (PhoenixNewTimes.com)

Press & blog by Popular Publicity.

BACK TO THE MISS GAY AMERICA WEBSITE
MGA ON FACEBOOK 
MGA ON INSTAGRAM

No comments:

Post a Comment