Friday, September 7, 2018

5 Questions with Your New MISS GAY GEORGIA AMERICA 2018 Moltyn Decadence

Photograph by Vixen Photography

On August 2, at Club One in Savannah, Georgia, Moltyn Decadence of Kansas City, MO, became the first Miss Gay Georgia America to be crowned since 2006.

An "open regional pageant," the night, drawing contestants from across the U.S., was a smashing success due the hard work of promoter, Miss Gay America 2015 and Club One Show Director, Blair Williams. (Check out preview stories she scored in Do Savannah and Connect Savannah.)



Moltyn Decadence performs her Talent number at Miss Gay Georgia America 2018

Before we introduce you to Moltyn by way of our little 5 question Q&A, here's what she had to say about how she chose her drag name.

"I chose my drag name after landing my first gig. My original drag name, Lavonna Turcell, wasn’t received well, so before they announced me joining the cast I was asked to change my name. A friend and I were studying at Chilis over margaritas when the descriptor for one of the desserts caught my eye. It was a simple bunt cake with hot fudge in the middle, but it sounded so chocolatey and delicious that I decided that's what I wanted my drag to be like. We spent a little time playing with the spelling and before the dessert had cooled, I had adopted the name Moltyn Decadence.

Now, meet Moltyn. Take it away girl.

Photograph by Vixen Photography

1 How did you get started, when did you first do in female impersonation?

I got started by  pure coincidence in 2005 while I was in college at Michigan State University. I was involved in a LGBTQIA student group for people of color during my undergrad studies. Following the tsunamis of 2004, a group of drag king performers organized a drag show to assist queer communities that needed assistance, and they enlisted as many student group leaders as possible. I was recently out, but eager to help. So, with no prior drag experience, three friends and I embarked on three weeks of exploration and rehearsals for our debut group performance of Destiny’s Child’s “Lose My Breath.” Needless to say we were not very put together, but the drag bug had bitten me, and I decided to continue this new hobby of mine, never imagining that it would eventually lead me to competing at Miss Gay America.

Photo from Moltyn Decadence's Facebook page

2 What has being in the Miss Gay America system mean to you personally?

Being involved with the Miss Gay America System has always meant being a part of a much larger movement. The impact Miss Gay America has had on the pageant community as a whole is astonishing, but the impact that city, state and regional prelims can have on smaller communities as well is awe-inspiring. I’ve had the pleasure of competing in several different systems over the years, but being involved in a Miss Gay America function as a contestant, spectator, or an assistant always feels like coming home to family

Photograph by Vixen Photography

3 How have you benefited from competing in the Miss Gay America system?

I have learned more about that man I’ve become, through my competition within the Miss Gay America system than I could ever imagine. The discipline, focus and determination it takes to carry myself as a professional entertainer and a role model for others was honed in preparation for competitions within the system.

More than that, the relationships I’ve made have provided a support network that I could never dream of. As a professional wig and makeup artist, I’ve had the pleasure to witness firsthand the sisterhood that takes place at a competition behind the scenes and it never ceases to amaze and inspire me. Being in the system, regardless of the role I’ve played, has always felt like reuniting with friends and family.

Photograph from Moltyn Decadence's Facebook page

4 Is your family supportive?

My family has supported my art from the very beginning. I had the misfortune of coming out of the closet and coming out as an entertainer at the same time, so as you can imagine it was a lot to take in. The initial response wasn’t what I'd hoped for, but I was patient and not long after coming out, I was auditioning for my first show and my mother took me to buy my first wig and came to support me in the audience. It was the most magical night of my life and I’ve been blessed to have that same love and support from the rest of my family as well.

Photograph by Vixen Photography

5 What is your life out of drag?

As a full time entertainer, my life out of drag is spent trying to bring the same joy I bring to the stage to everyday life. I’ve been fortunate to add burlesque emcee, actor and voice-over artist to my list of out of drag activities, but before I began entertaining full-time, I served as a sexual health program coordinator and HIV test counselor.

Knowing that our struggles are far from over, I’ve remained actively involved in the fight against  HIV/AIDS within my community through Kansas City, AIDS Walk, and the AIDS service Foundation of Kansas City.

In addition to my volunteerism and nightclub entertainment, I’m also committed to using the art of female impersonation as a tool to engage the larger community in conversations around race, gender and sexuality. In the last year I’ve been involved in events including Drag Queen Story Time engaging youth and parents, a support group for transgender and gender non-conforming youth, community events proving safe places for queer people of color and a women's empowerment festival. It's my hope that as female impersonation becomes more mainstream, awareness of our community struggles and needs also become more mainstream. •

Facebook
Instagram
Our Community Roots

 Photograph by Vixen Photography

BACK TO THE MGAZINE HOMEPAGE  
BACK TO THE MISS GAY AMERICA WEBSITE
MGA ON FACEBOOK