Friday, May 11, 2018

5 Questions with Your New MISS GAY MISSOURI AMERICA 2018 JANESSA HIGHLAND


Photo by Andreu Wade Blackwell

On April 7, at Hamburger Mary's St. Louis, the Miss Gay Missouri America pageant crowned their newest queen, Janessa Highland. An honor indeed, as the competition has been around since 1974, beginning only two years after the very first Miss Gay America pageant in Nashville in 1972.

No stranger to pageant competitions, Janessa's first title was as a "Mister," back in 2010. Thanks to being a "Mister" Janessa fluttered forth. She recounts her crysalis--and christening--as Janessa Highland:

"When I first started performing I was a go-go dancer at a bar but didn't want anyone to use my real name because I was in college to be an education major and didn't want it coming up on my social media later down the road. I picked the name Jace (because I thought it was sexy) and the last name Highland because it was the street I grew up on (Highland Lake Dr). When I started doing female impersonation I wanted my initials to be the same so I chose the name Janessa. So there you have it: Janessa Highland!"

Like many contestants and title holders, she appreciates participating in the Miss Gay America system not only because it has been invaluable in honing her skills as an entertainer, but for the life skills she has–if not acquired, certainly empowered–thanks to participating and the friendships she has formed with fellow contestants.

Meet your new Miss Gay Missouri America as she tours, performs and ultimately prepares for the nationals, Miss Gay America 2019, this October, right back in St. Louis at Hamburger Mary's. (This particular Hamburger Mary's, as many of you now know, is owed jointly by married Miss Gay America pageant owners Michael Dutzer and Rob Mansman, with partner and St. Louis resident, David Pardue.)

1 How did you get started, when did you first do in female impersonation?  
I started my female impersonation career in Springfield, MO. I first hit the stage as a male performer Jace Highland and went on the capture the titles of Mr. Greater Ozarks Pride, Mr. Latin Vibe, Mr. Springfield and Missouri National Showman. During my reign as Mr. Greater Ozarks Pride I was asked to do a turnabout benefit for the AIDS Project of the Ozarks. It was this benefit in 2010 that lit the spark that created Janessa Highland.


Photo by Boom Magazine

2 What has being in the Miss Gay America system mean to you personally?
My love of the Miss Gay America System started in Springfield Mo. Miss Gay Springfield America (a city preliminary pageant to MGMA) is one of the oldest pageants in the state of Missouri. The strong sisterhood, prestige, and excellence this city preliminary and its titleholders carry themselves with inspired me to start my journey in the MGA pageantry system. I entered the Miss Gay Springfield contest two times and although I did not capture the crown, my love for the MGA pageant system grew and blossomed as a result.

To me, MGA is so much more than a female impersonation pageant. Through my years of competing it has taught me so many lessons that have carried over into my daily life. I've learned how to interview for a job. I've learned how to organize, prepare, and execute a plan to accomplish a goal. I've learned how to fail to reach a goal and still celebrate the success of my peers. Most importantly I've learned how to be humble. Humility is difficult to learn how to possess and is a priceless trait once it's acquired.

3 How have you benefited from competing in the Miss Gay America system?  
The ways I've benefited from the MGA system are too numerous to name. Competing in this system has taught me how to analyze myself both on and off stage. The expectations put in place for MGA titles holders has given me a standard to hold myself to not only in my persona's appearances but in my daily life. This standard of excellence has helped me to achieve success in multiple aspects of my life.


Photo by Boom Magazine

The friendships, memories, and sisterhood I've gained from competing in MGA is another incredible benefit of this system. I have met some of the most incredible entertainers, fans and supporters I could ever imagine. I couldn't picture my life without these people and I owe that to competing in this system.

4 Is your family supportive?  
Most of my biological family does know that I perform, with the exception of my father. While they don't necessarily understand Janessa, they appreciate the hard work and artistic aspects of my performance persona.

My chosen family, however, is a collection of some of the most supportive and loving people I could possibly imagine. I am extremely blessed to have a very tightly knit "Drag Family".

There was a point in time when I first came out to my biologically family that I was homeless and was living out of my car. I didn't really know what to do, how to process what was going on and didn't have any place to be myself and express my feelings. It was my "drag mother" Devion Mornett who gave me an outlet at Martha's Vineyard, a shoulder to cry on and the strength I needed when I didn't have it.

I truly believe it is my journey into the art of female impersonation that saved me from what could have been a destructive path. Over the last 10 years of performing and being present in the LGBTQ community, it has been my support network and chosen family that has always been my rock. I couldn't be more thankful for all they have done for me and couldn't be more blessed to have them in my life!


Photo by Andreu Wade Blackwell

5 What is your life out of drag? Anything else you want to add or say?
Outside of drag, I work as a realtor and house-flipper. Think Joanna Gaines but with a closet full of evening gowns. I love my profession and enjoy the freedom it gives me to tap into another aspect of my creative side. When I'm not working I enjoy spending time with my 3-year-old brindle Frenchie, Percible. I love to cook (especially on the grill in the summertime) and enjoy seeing other people enjoy my food. If I could spend every day floating on the river, in a pool or at the lake I would in a heartbeat! There is nothing better than being on the water, in the sun with a cold drink and great friends.

I also have a pet project/passion that I enjoy investing my time and energy into. The Capitol City Cinema in Jefferson City Missouri is a nonprofit independent cinema whose mission is to further art through education. I've been involved with them for just over 3 years helping with fundraising efforts and charity events.

Growing up in rural Missouri I think it is extremely important to have organizations like the Capitol City Cinema. These organizations provide an outlet for members of all different backgrounds to enjoy entertainment while being exposed to issues brought up by independent films. I've witnessed some very beautiful moments during my involvement with the cinema, and I look forward to many more amazing memories with them as they continue to grow.  •

Follow Miss Gay Missouri America 2018 Janessa Highland on Facebook.


BACK TO TOP
BACK TO THE MGAZINE HOMEPAGE  
BACK TO THE MISS GAY AMERICA WEBSITE