Monday, April 2, 2018

5 Questions with MISS GAY NEW YORK AMERICA 2018 ANDORA TETEE, Our First Miss Gay New York...Actually From New York!

Photo by Luis Romero.

Photos below by Kiet Thai.

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018, Manhattan's Hudson Terrace nightclub was the setting for the Miss Gay New York America preliminary pageant to the forthcoming the Miss Gay America Pageant. (Believe it or not, only the second ever in NYC!)

The evening's theme, chosen by Miss Gay New York America 2017 Kelly Ray Shelton, was "Broadway". For the Presentation category, contestants interpreted the theme in their gown, costume and look.

Andora Tetee did her own take. Versus a drag queen on Broadway, she did Broadway on a drag queen! A Manhattan girl, Andora threw the world's most famous intersection up on her head and hit the floor. She later brought the house down with her saucy, perfect and Broadway-ready take on Dolly's "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." Duly impressed, the esteemed panel of judges crowned Andora Tetee Miss Gay New York America 2018.

MGAZINE recently sat down with our busy brand new Miss Gay New York America for a wee Q&A. Nice to have a New Yorker in the Miss Gay America house!
1 How did you get started, when did you first do in female impersonation? 
When I was 20 years old one of my coworkers, a guy who used to do drag, suggested I should get in drag to be able to get into bars. And, of course, I was sickening. After that I was addicted to glamour!  

2 What has being in the Miss Gay America system mean to you personally? 
I was lucky enough to be brought up in the drag community of Baltimore, MD where Miss Gay America was held on a pedestal, and I knew that I wanted to be Miss Gay America. Though I have taken a 10 year break from the system, I feel like I'm finally ready to serve as the representative and ambassador of the values of the Miss Gay America System.  
3 How have you benefited from competing in the Miss Gay America system? 
I feel like the system has honed and perfected my talent, makeup, hair and costuming. If you are going to do something, you know what they say: Do it right!
4 Is your family supportive? 
They are now but they haven't always. It's not easy telling my dad that his now adult son wants to start dressing like a fabulous diva. Now my entire family, including grandmothers, uncles, and sisters attend drag shows and have become drag critics.
5 What is your life out of drag?  
I live in Manhattan, New York where I am an event decorator (so still fabulous!) and live with my boyfriend of 6 years now. I design and create my costumes and absorb a lot of creativity from the streets of Manhattan. Since I was 18 years old and came out of the closet, I have been involved in gay youth alliance organizations. I believe it is very important to support young LGBTQ people as they come up.  
At Miss Gay New York America 2018: Miss Gay America, Deva Station, freshly crowned Miss Gay New York America 2018 Andora Tetee, Mr. Gay New York 2018 Quinn Mathews, and Mr. Gay America Kyle Haggerty. Photo by Corey Sipkin for AMNY. See a full slideshow from the night at AMNY.com

Bonus question. How did you choose your drag name?
It is a mixture of my grandmothers' names (Anna and Dolores). They both were a major part of my creativity. They taught me to sew, paint and be artistic. My motto is: "When all else fails, sparkle!"

Follow Andora Tetee on her wowza of an Instagram page (@andora_official) and on Facebook ( strap yourselves in, 'cause she's taking no prisoners at Miss Gay America 2019 this October. •

Photo by Luis Romero

BACK TO TOP
BACK TO THE MGAZINE HOMEPAGE  
BACK TO THE MISS GAY AMERICA WEBSITE