Thursday, September 20, 2018

MISS GAY AMERICA Photographer Laura Dark Picks Her Top 10 Drag Photos, Chats with MGAZINE

All photographs by Laura Dark Photography LLC

Meet Laura Dark, the second of our women drag queen photographers to be profiled on the Miss Gay America blog, MGAZINE. We previously featured Carrie Strong. Another we hope to feature is Erika Wagner “The Drag Photographer," who shot the fab photos you've seen of Miss Gay Florida America Alexis Mateo.

Laura is best known for her dark portrait and beauty work which has been described as, “beautiful and creative to the max….the images are so realistic and haunting…it’s insane.” She is well known for her many publications, magazine covers, and her two years as Senior Fashion and Beauty Editor with the avant-garde fashion magazine, Dark Beauty.  Among others, she has been published in Gothic Beauty Magazine, Bizarre Magazine, and Auxiliary Magazine.

"Laura is an incredible artist with a unique eye for finding the most interesting shot!" say our reigning Miss Gay America Deva Station. "She does a lot of work in gothic photography which makes her the perfect person to capture drag make up and creativity.  Laura Dark Studios has so many props and costumes to make the experience one of a kind."

So, herewith, photographer Laura Dark answers 5 quick questions and shares her 10 favorite photographs. 

Nikki Stone

Sabrina Heart

1 Why and when did you pick up the camera?

I had started my art career as a portrait sketch artist, but decided that field was so very limited that I couldn’t make a living from it. I had picked up some photography skills in high school when I was the yearbook staff photographer. After high school, I apprenticed under a local photographer for two years before breaking off on my own. I started taking images of families and wedding and then in late 1999 I started shooting bands. In 2000 I started shooting alternative models for their portfolio updates and alternative websites and fashion designers. Since then, I have been making a living from my photography in the alternative scene with bands, models, magazines, drag queens, and websites.

Diamond Hunter
Michael Pottymouth

2 Why and when did you shoot your first drag queen and who was it?

The first queen I ever shot was Helena Troy.  She came to me because of my avant garde style, as she felt it matched her own aesthetic well.   I shot her the first time in 2013 and we have shot TONS of images together since.  We share a a great bond and she's definitely become one of my main muses.  I can't thank her enough for all the art we have shot together and the world she opened me up to with drag.

Jennifer Lynn
Cherry Poppins

3 How is shooting drag queens different from shooting women?

Honestly, not much different.  In all my images I just want to show my clients how beautiful they are.  How I see them.  How others see them.  I think we are so hard on ourselves we focus a lot on the things that aren't "beautiful enough" to us when we should see ourselves how others see us.  Everyone has a right to have an image they can look back on and say, "Wow, look how beautiful I am".  That's what I want to provide.

Ava Foxx
Helena Troy

4 Have you even done drag?

I have not done drag. I leave that up to the professionals!  lol  I am MUCH happier behind the camera than in front it.

 Miss Gay Buckeye State 2018 Mary Nolan
Miss Gay America 2018 Deva Station

5 Best advice for any drag queen heading into a photo shoot?

BE PREPARED.  Nails break.  Eyelashes get lost.  Costumes rip.  Bring things to prepare for that just like you would a show.  Have an idea of what you want your final images to look like and don't be afraid to tell your photographer.  Tell them how much editing or no editing you want.  Talk to them about lighting and backgrounds and what the images will be used for.  Also bring a lint roller for your glitter, because man, it's messy!  lol  (Just kidding about the glitter, kind of. lol)


Laura Dark

Laura Dark Photography LLC
Columbus, OH
www.lauradark.net
Facebook 
@lauradarkphoto 
Twitter 

BACK TO THE MGAZINE HOMEPAGE  
BACK TO THE MISS GAY AMERICA WEBSITE
MGA ON FACEBOOK