Tuesday, October 3, 2017

MISS GAY AMERICA Photographer Scotty Kirby Picks His Top 10 Drag Photos, Chats with MGAZINE

Scotty Kirby & The Kirbygirls

In anticipation of Miss Gay America 2018, we wanted to feature two of the Miss Gay America pageant's favorite photographers. Here you'll meet Scotty Kirby. Click here to meet equally beloved, Kristofer Reynolds.

Miss Gay America 2018 happens this week (!) and with comes the return of a new Miss Gay America tradition, the Miss Photogenic competition. For it, contestants who wish to participate submit their best publicity photo to be judged by a panel of former Miss Gay America titleholders on beauty, creativity and expression. The winner will be announced during the pageant.

One man working overtime to make the deadline, is Phoenix based drag photographer, Scotty Kirby. Though he's tried the rest--weddings, men, women, editorial--for Kirby, drag's the best, and it shows in his superglam gagalicious drag queen photography.

Scotty Kirby

For MGAZINE, Scotty Kirby plucked 10 of his favorite drag queen photos and answered 5 quick questions. Herewith, the photos, in no particularly order (who can pick favorite?!), and a chat with Scotty.

Trinity Taylor
Trixie Mattel
Farrah Moan

1 Why and when did you pick up the camera?

I first picked up a camera in high school in my photography class, but my Mom always told me I had a fascination with them ever since I was a toddler.  I enjoyed photography as a hobby up until I was in college working on my Bachelor's Degree in Biology when friends started asking me how much I would charge for portraits. I started a little side business to make some extra money while in college, and it turned into my full-time career.
 Kimora Black
London Adour

2 Why and when did you shoot your first drag queen and who was it?

The first drag queen I ever shot was Coco St James in 2012.  The reason I wanted to shoot her is because she's known for her Lady Gaga impersonation, and I am a huge Gaga fan.  The first time I saw her, she was in the Marry The Night music video look that she had recreated, and I fell in love and asked her if we could shoot one day.  Now that I am known for my drag portraits, I got "Marry The Night" tattooed on my arm to always remember that first drag photoshoot that opened up all the opportunities I've had since.
Sasha Velour
Piper M Shay

3 How is shooting drag queens different from shooting women?

Shooting drag queens is extremely different from shooting women.  Simply put, it's just more fun.  Drag has no rules or boundaries, so the sky is the limit when it comes to creativity.  I think that's why I have fallen in love with photographing drag. No two shoots are ever the same, and it feels more like a collaboration with the queen rather than just taking pretty portraits of a client.
Miss Gay America 2017 Suzy Wong

4 Have you even done drag?

Shockingly, I've never done drag. I've had a ton of my drag friends offer to put me in drag over the years, but I've just never really had the desire to venture into trying it.  Part of me just doesn't want to blur the lines between my business life and the drag scene. At the end of the day, I think I just appreciate the art form too much to even attempt it!
Coco St. James
Holly Pena Popper

5 Best advice for any drag queen heading into a photo shoot?  

The best advice I have for a queen heading into a shoot would be a couple things:  

1.  Energy is everything. Without fail, the shoots that always turn out the best are the ones where the queen comes into the shoot with a positive attitude and ready to create some beautiful work. Nothing is worse than a queen who comes into a shoot with low energy and seems like they don't even want to be there. It truly does effect the final outcome of the images.

2.  Come prepared with fully-realized looks.  I get most inspired by what looks the queen brings to shoot with.  When the look is a full concept that tells a story, it's easy for me to see where I want to go with lighting and editing.

For more about Scotty Kirby and bookings, go to www.scottykirby.com

And check out last week's post of another favorite Miss Gay America photographer, Kristofer Reynolds here.

BACK TO TOP
BACK TO THE MGAZINE HOMEPAGE  
BACK TO THE MISS GAY AMERICA WEBSITE