Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Meet Your New Miss Gay Oklahoma America 2019: Erikka Shaye

Just in the nick of time, a final interview for the 2019 Miss Gay America year. This time with Miss Gay Oklahoma America 2019, Erikka Shaye.

As always, before we start, we want to know how she chose her drag name. "I have always been a fan of Rachael Erikks (the first queen I saw). Then my drag mother (Amber Shaye) got a hold of me and she actually gave me the idea of pay homage to Rachael by taking her last name as my first, and I would take Ambers last name, hence Erikka Shaye. :) "

Miss Gay America 2020 begins tomorrow in St. Louis.  We wish Miss Erikka Shaye the best of luck!

Above: Miss Gay Oklahoma America 2019 Erikka Shaye with the famous Miss Gay Oklahoma scepter. Photo by Carrie Strong.

1 How did you get started, when did you first do in female impersonation? 

I was 17 the first time I "attempted" female impersonation.  My mother encouraged me to do it once she had been to a show at Angles in OKC.

Above: Miss Gay Oklahoma America 2019 Erikka Shaye. Photo by Carrie Strong.

2 What has being in the Miss Gay America system mean to you personally? 


Being in the America system has meant the world to me.  It has shown me that I can show my talent as a performer within this medium of drag, and I do not have to be augmented or actually want to live as a woman, to do so.  So I can perform and still be a boy.

Above: Miss Gay Oklahoma America 2019 Erikka Shaye in talent at Miss Gay America 2019, last October. Photo by BjKj Illusions.

3 How have you benefited from competing in the Miss Gay America system? 

I have benefited from competing in the America system by the friends (and now family) that I have met which will forever be touch stones in my life.  By either being friendly advise, or an actual home to stay in when out of town.
Above: Miss Gay Oklahoma America 2019 Erikka Shaye. Photo by Carrie Strong.

4 Is your family supportive? 

I'm an only child, born to a single parent mother.  My mother disowned me when I first came out.  She came around 2 weeks later, and encouraged me to do drag.  We are currently estranged for choices she has made.  So I have allot of chosen family and yes, they are very supportive. My husband is VERY supportive.  He likes to shop for Erikka. :)

Above: Miss Gay Oklahoma America 2019 Erikka Shaye with Amber Shaye and Corrine DeVille.

5 What is your life out of drag? Anything else you want to add or say?  

I am a legal assistant and share my home with my husband and our 2 schnauzers (Annie & Reichen).  I'm am an ambassador for The Bloody Mary Group in OKC, a group that gets together in one of our members homes (usually someone who is home bound, or bed ridden) and we make it a pot luck, we raise money for other charities around the city.  So not only are we an outreach group for those who cant reach out themselves, but we help out in other aspects of our community.  And I get to help make a difference all the while wearing makeup and heels.  LOL
Above: Miss Gay Oklahoma America 2019 Erikka Shaye. Photo by Carrie Strong.

BACK TO THE MISS GAY AMERICA WEBSITE
MGA ON FACEBOOK 
MGA ON INSTAGRAM