Monday, September 9, 2019

Meet Your New Miss Gay Mississippi America 2019: Brooklyn Alexander


June 22 marked the return of the Miss Gay Mississippi America pageant to Jackson, the first since 2014. The pageant’s theme, chosen by the Miss Gay Mississippi America 2014 Gia Giavanni, was, appropriately, “Return to Royalty.”

Brooklyn Alexander, of Sandersville, who brough the house down with her sassy mix of "Mississippi Girl" and "Redneck Woman," was crowned Miss Gay Mississippi America 2019, and Fancy Rae,of Biloxi, won Miss Gay Mississippi America 2019 First Alternate.

Before dipping into our interview with Miss Alexander, we asked her how she chose her drag name.

Brooklyn explains, "Well, being I am a bigger gal, I wanted a bigger name. LOL! I’ve always loved the name 'Brooklyn.' My mother said If I had been born a girl, that would have been it. 'Alexander' was chosen after a good close friend who supports me in everything I choose. Her last name is Alexander. We were brainstorming ideas for a last name and she jokingly said, 'Alexander.' I smiled, and the rest is history. My name was chosen and hasn’t changed. :)" 


Above: Miss Gay Mississippi America 2019 Brooklyn Alexander

1 How did you get started, when did you first do in female impersonation? 

It was a dare. My good friend wanted to do a show so bad and dared me to do it with them at an amateur show in Meridian Mississippi at a bar named Different Seasons. I was 18 when I started female impersonation. I did not know one simple dare would lead me to where I am at today.


Above: (L-R) Miss Gay Mississippi America 2014 Gia GiaVanni, Miss Gay Mississippi America 2019 Brooklyn Alexander and Miss Gay America 2019 Andora TeTee.

2 What has being in the Miss Gay America system mean to you personally? 

It’s an honor. I am always looking to better myself. The Miss Gay America system has so many fabulous, flawless ladies who are always lending a helping hand to better anyone. The sisterhood with MGA is strong and I am honored to be a part of that.


Above: Miss Gay Mississippi America 2019 Brooklyn Alexander by Troy Orgeron Photography

3 How have you benefited from competing in the Miss Gay America system? 

It’s definitely “lit a fire” in me to push harder, do better and always take that next step. Since I’ve competed, I am always finding new ways to better myself.


Above: Miss Gay Mississippi America 2019 Brooklyn Alexander

4 Is your family supportive? 

My immediate family is very supportive. They always have been. I’m truly blessed with a supportive system of people.


Above: Miss Gay Mississippi America 2019 Brooklyn Alexander with Catastrophe Love-Knight

5 What is your life out of drag? Anything else you want to add or say?  

My life outside of drag is normal. I’m a hairstylist, salon manager for a wonderful company I love. I am raising my niece and nephew, so play the parent role 24/7. I chose The Ronald McDonald house as my charity because while the families are unfortunately dealing with a sick child, money can get real tight and they may not can afford a hotel for 2-3 weeks maybe longer, at a time. I want to raise money so that the families can stay at Ronald McDonald without anymore stress and worry put on them. I want them to worry as less as possible while they have their child  in the hospital. •



BACK TO TOP
BACK TO THE MISS GAY AMERICA WEBSITE
MGA ON FACEBOOK 
MGA ON INSTAGRAM