Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Meet Miss Gay America Photographer Duo BjKj Illusions, a.k.a. Barb & Kathy Wilt-McCrickerd


Above: Asia O' Hara MGA 2016 opening for 2017. "Asia was the first queen when Mike [Dutzer] And Rob [Mansman] became the new owners of MGA."

Anyone who's been to the Miss Gay America pageant has seen two of the system's most ardent fans busily photographing every second, sequin and sashay.

Shooting under the collective name of BjKj Illusions, Barb and Kathy Wilt-McCrickerd have been meticulously documenting the nation's longest running and most prestigious drag pageant for over ten years. We thought it was time to meet the this devoted couple, surely to be counted as two of the Miss Gay America's system's biggest cheerleaders.

So, herewith, the MGAZINE interview with BjKj Illusions along with ten of their favorite photos, which they've captioned.

1 How long have you been going to Miss Gay America pageants?    

Barb: Ten years. Our first year was 2009, when I sponsored my first queen, Elektra Fearce St. James, Miss Pennsylvania America 2009.

2 In addition to Miss Gay America, you also attend and photograph other pageants. Which ones and why?

Kathy: Miss Gay Mid-Atlantic America, Miss Gay Pennsylvania America, as well as Miss and Mr. Lehigh Valley Pride, just to list a few. There are way more. We go where are friends are performing. We like to capture their special moments on stage.

Barb: We have also been to Miss All American Goddess, Miss USofA and  Miss Wessland. I want to go to Miss Continental, but it is over Labor Day weekend, and with working in retail that is always hard to get off.


Above: Andora TeTee MGA 2019.  "When a contestant uses one of our pictures as their profile picture or cover picture, that lets us know they liked our picture, and we did a good job capturing their special moment."

3 How many days out of the year are you traveling to and from drag pageants?  

Kathy: Too many, lol, but if it was up to Barb, it would be every day out of the year.

Barb: This is funny you ask this. If I had it my way, it would be all the time!  Lol. Kathy always says that I plan our vacations around drag, and she might be right!

4 What’s behind your photographer credit name BjKj Illusions?  

Barb: BjKj stands for  Barbara Jean and Kathy Jean. The “Illusions” part comes from the art of female "illusion."


Above: Kathy (left) and Barb (right) Wilt-McCrickerd.


5 You two are a married couple. When and how did you meet and how long have you been married?  

Barb: Kathy and I met on line. I actually was talking with her sister, and then we realized that we knew each other already and were friends, so I started talking to Kathy. Kathy and I have been together for 13 years and married for 3 years. We got married on my birthday!

6 How did you get started photographic pageants?  

Kathy: It all started with a small camera. I was just 18 at an underage pageant at a local gay bar in Pennsylvania. People loved my photos. So, I invested in better cameras and people kept asking me to come shoot–and I still shooting. I love it!

Barb: I have been doing photography most of my life. I always like for the performers to be able see what they looked like during the pageant. This is important to me, because not everyone is fortunate to have people do this for them, especially at nationals.


Above: "Blair Williams MGA 2015.  The first queen we started taking crowning pictures of at MGA. I can remember asking her to hold her flowers and pose for the picture, and she said "Is this ok?" She was as green at posing for the pictures as we were at taking picture of queens at that time."

7 You guys are clearly huge drag fans. What is it about drag and drag pageants so much that you will travel the country for it?   

Kathy: I love to see what talents people bring to the pageants and I love to go surprise and support our friends who are female impersonators.

Barb: For me, it is clearly the transformation. I am just  amazed at how they paint and dress. I have to say we have made a lot of friends in the drag world. The fastest makeup artist that I know is Sabrina White. She can paint herself in 20 minutes!


Above: Miss Gay America 2018 Deva Station with First Alternate Brooke Lynn Hytes. "Deva Station said to me, 'Oh my I just won MGA 2018.all that hard work for the past 7 years has paid off.'"

8 And since you cover so many MGA pageants, what is it about MGA that makes it your favorite system?  

Kathy: FAMILY. One big Reunion!

Barb: As a kid my Mom was involved with the Miss America pageant system, so the MGA is so similar to Miss America. It is a regimented system and stays true to the rules.


Above: Elektra Fearce St James (2009) "This is the first queen that Barb sponsored to go to MGA."

9 When did you sponsor your first contestant?  

Kathy: In 2010 I sponsored Aurora F. Sterling, because she was our queen: we owned the Miss Glamour Pennsylvania America preliminary.

Barb: Elektra Fearce St. James was Miss Pennsylvania 2009, and she was my first queen to sponsor. I asked her if she needed help getting ready, and she said sure! She made a list of what she needed, and off we went shopping. I can remember her calling me at work from the airport saying that her luggage was overweight and it cost her $50.0 and she needed some help with taking care of it. I was like sure, no problem.


Above: Kelly Ray Shelton, at MGA 2017. "She never missed a word while they used her to sweep the floor this talent was very entertaining."

10 What have you learned about shooting drag queens or photography in general over the years? 

Kathy: I’ve learned there can never be to many pictures! People love pictures, love to see how they look. I even keep pictures when something isn’t right–hip pads makeup, etc.–that way queens can learn from their mistakes.

Barb: I learned the easiest category to shoot is “Interview.” We just pick a spot near the stage and then all the boys come get their photo taken there. Hardest category is “Talent,” with all the backdrops, dancers and props.

11 Have you guys ever done drag?  

Barb: Kathy has done it. Her name is "Glitter Dot." We had a prelim for Miss Pennsylvania America 2010 and Kathy performed for a benefit for our queen Aurora F. Sterling to help her get to nationals.


Above: (2017) Maryland Family. "If you become a Miss Maryland they are an elite group of queens. No matter where they are, if the current reigning is there as a queen or himself, they do a 'Maryland' sighting photo."

12 Is it just you two or do you bring family to the pageants? 

Kathy: My three sisters attend, and when my mother was living, she was a huge supporter.

Barb: Kathy’s sisters have attended benefits and preliminary pageants with us, but they have never been to MGA nationals. They did get to watch it last year when [pageant co-owner] Michael Dutzer had it televised [via pay-per-view.]


Above: Patti Lovelace (2014). "It doesn't matter if Patti is competing or a spectator at MGA, Patti a.k.a. Matt, will lend a hand, a dress, nails or anything a contestant would need. That's why I gave her the nickname "My Heart." She wears her heart on her sleeve.

14 You don’t have to answer if it’s too personal. What do you guys do when you’re not chasing pageants?  

Kathy: I love to scrapbook, shop, gamble and spend time with friends. I also love to photograph weddings and other non-drag events.

Barb: We love to travel. Kathy had never flown before, until we went in 2009 to St. Louis for Miss Gay America. After that, we have been to Las Vegas (Kathy is the gambler), Tennessee, New Orleans, Orlando, Tampa. This year we are heading to Ft. Worth Texas for her niece's wedding at the end of October. Kathy likes to scrapbook. I like to Uber or Lyft. I enjoy meeting new people. We also photograph weddings or birthdays for people.

(The next two questions are from Miss Gay America co-owner Michael Dutzer.)

15 What has been your favorite year to photograph?    

Kathy: All the years! Because no year has been the same. Each year I make lots of new friends.

Barb: Hmm, this is a tough one. I guess 2017 the year Deva Station won. We had gotten close to her outside the drag world. We had seen her a month prior to MGA and I said to her, "This is your year!" And I was right!


Above: Renee Hiltion  (2014). "Lovely smile and great personality."

16 What is your favorite category to photograph? 

Kathy: “Talent” because I love to see how far the contestant has gone out of their box.

Barb: “Evening Gown” for me. I love seeing how creative they can get, and the transformation.


Above: (2017) Grecia Montes D'Occa.  "So genuine. We had the pleasure of meeting her Mom, who was very supportive of her and her biggest cheerleader. (RIP to her Mom, she has a personal angel). •

To see loads of photos by Barb & Kathy Wilt-McCrickerd aka BjKj Illusions, visit their Facebook page and check out the various photo albums.



BACK TO THE MISS GAY AMERICA WEBSITE
MGA ON FACEBOOK 
MGA ON INSTAGRAM