Monday, June 11, 2018

5 Questions with Your First Ever MISS GAY BUCKEYE AMERICA 2018 MARY NOLAN


Studio photos by Laura Dark Photography.

We've had a first ever Miss Gay Nevada America, Sofia Anderson, and now first ever Miss Gay Buckeye America, Mary Nolan.

So how did this brand new Columbus-based pageant on the MGA circuit come to be? Miss Gay Buckeye America owner and promoter Michael Bishop. (He is also the owner and co-promoter of Miss Gay Ohio America.)

"I really wanted to branch out this year and do something on a regional level," says Michael. "After a few conversations with Miss Gay America, whom I have know for over 15 years, we thought it would be a wonderful opportunity to bring national level competitors to Columbus! We had 4 amazing contestants: Aida Stratton from Pennsylvania, Mystical Divine from Cleveland, our Miss Buckeye America 2018 Mary Nolan from Columbus and First Alternate Kelly Ray Shelton.



Above: Miss Gay Buckeye America 2018 Mary Nolan, Miss Gay Buckeye America 2018 First Alternate Kelly Ray Shelton, Miss Gay Buckeye America co-owner and co-promoter Michael Bishop.

An energetic competitor since 2016, Mary Nolan's previous titles are: 4th Alternate to Miss Gay America 2018,  Miss Gay Northeast America 2017, 1st Alternate - Top 10 Finalist at Miss Gay America 2017, and Miss Gay Ohio America 2016.

Girl gives good chat, but before we jump into the Q&A below, Mary explains how she chose her drag name. Or it chose her, as it turns out.

"My drag name came from a place of bullying. When I first moved to Columbus, I fell in with a group of people who thought anything effeminate was something to be ridiculed and looked down upon. It always struck me as strange that grown adult gay men would behave that way but I didn't know any better at the time. Because I was small and sometimes effeminate, they started calling me Mary Nolan. Mary comes from a slang term for gay men and Nolan is my last name. It kind of stuck. I wanted to take back my identity from bullies so I kept the name."

Now, our Q&A with your first ever Miss Gay Buckeye America, Mary Nolan.



1 How did you get started, when did you first do in female impersonation?


I started performing at a young age even though I was encouraged not to. I sang in choirs, learned instruments, and jumped into school plays the minute I could. So I've always been some type of performer! I have also always been very politically engaged. When I was studying Political Science, it clicked with me that the art of female impersonation is, in fact, a political act. While I didn't start right then, the fact that I could be politically engaged and entertain always stuck with me.

I started doing female impersonation in 2008. It wasn't pretty and it was ROUGH! I had watched drag queens and female impersonators for years. I had back-up danced all over. Quite honestly, though, I was terrified to do it myself. There was a time in my life where I allowed others to dictate my feelings toward myself and I allowed their stigma of female impersonators to deter me from performing. I realized that I have a very deep need to perform and entertain, so in 2008 I was asked to do a benefit show for Camp Sunrise. On that day Mary Nolan was truly born!


2 What has being in the Miss Gay America system mean to you personally? 

The Miss Gay America system saved my life. I have been through my own personal struggles including drugs and a life-threatening injury. The Miss Gay America system has given me focus and clarity to help conquer my daemons. In this system, I am held accountable to a standard I did not know I could sustain but it is this system that has given me the strength to do it.  I started competing from a place of total loss. There was so much death that I needed something else, something beautiful. In the Miss Gay America system, I have found support, unconditional love, and a place of acceptance. To me, Miss Gay America stands for something bigger than the sum of its individual parts. I don't know where I would be without it.


3 How have you benefited from competing in the Miss Gay America system?

Whenever anyone asks me how I've benefited from Miss Gay America I respond the exact same way: growth. On the outside, I have grown to be better at doing makeup, making hair choices, have a more discerning eye for my style, and how to develop a cohesive look. I may not always be as successful as I'd like but looking at a snapshot of me the day before I won my first prelim title and looking at a snapshot of me now...there's definitely been a ton of growth.

On the inside, the Miss Gay America system has taught me patience, love, empathy, dedication, and hard work. I have become a better listener, a better speaker, and a better performer. I have had the opportunity to travel around the country and learned each time I went.


 4 Is your family supportive?

I am so extremely blessed to have a very supportive family. My husband bought me my first set of makeup for a birthday present, although I wonder if he sometimes regrets it, HA! My mom celebrated her birthday at Miss Gay Ohio America the year I won. While it wasn't always this way with my family, they have come to love and support me in all areas of my life, although I didn't really give them a choice.


5 What is your life out of drag? Anything else you want to add or say?

I am very passionate about LGBTQIA youth and suicide prevention. While I can't give all the money in the world to Kaleidoscope Youth Center, I take every opportunity to give in ways that I can. KYC is a youth center for LGBTQIA youth in Columbus, Ohio. They provide a safe space and resources to youth in need.

When I married my husband of 15 years, we asked our guests to donate in lieu of gifts, I also orchestrate benefits to help with the center's operational fund.  I was taught from my Grandpa and Grandma Nolan that service is our rent for living. I come from a family who donates as much of our time and talents whenever we can. As avid animal lovers, Chad and I take care of our three dogs (Penny Lane, Riley, and Woody) as well as our fundraising work for animal rescues.

Currently, we are restoring our over 100-year-old home in Olde Towne East. We are the proud uncles to our 7 nieces and nephews and love spending time with our families.

I work as a school administrator and one of my passions is mentoring and coaching our students. We have a saying at work and I think it rings true with the Miss Gay America system, "Love what you do, love who you do it for, and love who you do it with!" •

BACK TO THE MGAZINE HOMEPAGE  
BACK TO THE MISS GAY AMERICA WEBSITE